Thursday, September 01, 2005

Anarchy in New Orleans

This blog from the 10th story of a flooded building in New Orleans is pretty incredible. Seriously, read this blog. They are trapped there for now with a diesel generator supplying them with power. They have a live web-cam feed that they were apparently pointing outside when they had some daylight, and the blog is updated frequently. They've been watching the city descend into anarchy. As you may have read elsewhere, looters have been breaking into gun stores. There are now bands of armed thugs roaming the streets, looting and robbing. They have a police officer sheltering with them part of the time now. He says the command structure for the police department is almost nonexistent with virtually no communication being passed around. People are shooting at the police officers and other rescuers.

The blogger is ex-military and has been using his training to assign people to teams, patrolling the building for security reasons and taking care of other necessities. Where is the National Guard? Hell, where are the Marines? In a previous entry the blogger said it's starting to turn into "Lord of the Flies" out there.

edit: they aren't exactly trapped in a sense that with a concerted effort it sounds like they could get out of the city. They are choosing not to. Not sure why... trying to help?

As soon as the fear of punishment is gone, some disgusting human beings turn into animals. In other news stories I've read that staff and patients in a hospital are trying to keep looters from breaking in. A nurse stepped outside briefly and was immediately robbed. Looters even targetted a nursing home that still has staff and residents hoping to be rescued. I hardly know what to see to that. One starts to think some people are so despicable they don't deserve to live.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

I stumbled upon your blog a few nights ago, and I have really appreciated all the information you are providing on New Orleans, even if it's the most terrifying stuff I've ever read. This all seems so surreal and like I must have seen it on a movie at one point...my New Orleans born and raised best friend is coming to stay with me in Tennessee later today (I met her in high school while I, too, lived in New Orleans). She has been without power in Mississippi since she evac'ed on Sunday. I'm not sure if I should show her these thing...!

But thanks again...I just wanted to say so.

9/01/2005 07:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home