Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The bloated epic

I guess the next installment of the world's most bloated epic is out, book 11 of the Wheel of Time. I'm betting that once again the most interesting thing about this doorstop of a book is the negative reviews at Amazon. Look at some of Robert Jordan's previous books to get the idea. This series is somewhere around 7,000 pages or more in hardcover. Now I guess we can once again read endless pages of mind numbing details, and action packed sequences such as women pulling on their braids, women wearing divided skirts for riding, women spanking one another as discipline, perhaps fulfilling some secret fantasy of the author, and more mind bogglingly mundane details. Once again I have no doubt that all of the female characters are immature, manipulative bitches and so are most of the men.

Why do I care? I'm not sure. I guess because before this author came along, I never knew a once compelling writer could become so bad.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, but are you still going to read it? You're extremely masochistic like that :-P

10/26/2005 06:22:00 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I'm in no hurry. Besides, George Martin's next book comes out next month. His books are huge too, but actually well written.

10/26/2005 01:24:00 PM  
Blogger Chris of Dangerous Logic said...

I think Hubbard's 'Mission:Earth' is still tops for Bloat In A SF/F Series.

Ten monstrous volumes. I remember slogging my way through the whole thing and thinking "That would have made a decent trilogy."

10/27/2005 06:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home