Monday, December 13, 2004

European Vacation?

So I'm torn now. I really want to take a Western European tour, but with the horrible exchange rate right now because of the weak American dollar it's become a very expensive trip. When I went to Ireland in 2003 the Euro was at a then all time high against the dollar and the prices hurt then. It's much worse now.

If I go anyway, price be damned, I may do a tour with Contiki again. They did an okay job with Ireland. I loved the country, but at times the tour was disappointing. So why would I go with them again for a European trip? Well, they're about the only tour company that specializes in trips for young adults (18-35 yr olds). I suspected and my travel agent confirmed that most tours will be largely made up of grey hairs. Nothing against older folks, but especially if I go by myself again, I want the tour to have people closer to my age group on it. I'm just not sure if I can forgive Contiki for making our last night in Ireland the overhyped tourist trap hellhole that is Johnnie Fox's.

(rant) It was expensive (about 45 euros and that didn't even include drinks), the seating was insanely tight, so much so that it was hard to move at all, the food wasn't all that great, and the entertainment was decidedly second rate. Why various reviews and travel sites claim going to a show at that pub will be one of the highlights of your trip, I have no idea. In addition to the problems I already mentioned, we had to put up with a large crowd of middle aged tourists at the next row of tables over who kept standing up, doing the wave, and yelling the same thing (Ole!) during every single pause of the show until we wanted to beat them with our stools just to make them stop. Several people in our group slipped out partway through and paid for a cab to take them all the way back to the Temple Bar district in Dublin (45+ min cab ride), they hated it so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home